When dealing with a collection agency, there are some important strategies to consider:
- Don’t ignore their phone calls or collection notices. If a collection agency cannot get a hold of you, it may pursue legal action.
- When speaking with collection agents, always be honest and respectful. These people are just doing their job, and aren’t the reason behind the call.
- There’s no need to feel scared or intimidated by a collection agent. If you are unable to make a payment or commit to a payment plan, explain your circumstances and the reasons why you are unable to do so.
- If you do commit to making a payment or enter into a payment plan, ensure that you follow through.
- Make sure you actually owe the debt. If you do, confirm the amount is accurate. Legally, you have the right to request a detailed statement in writing from the collection agency.