If you are receiving telephone calls and collection notices from a collection agency, it is because one of your creditors has assigned your overdue debt to them for collection. When dealing with a collection agency, there are some important strategies to consider:
- Don’t ignore their phone calls or collection notices. If a collection agency cannot get a hold of you, it may pursue legal action.
- When speaking with collection agents, always be honest and respectful. These people are just doing their job, and aren’t the reason behind the call.
- There’s no need to feel scared or intimidated by a collection agent. If you are unable to make a payment or commit to a payment plan, explain your circumstances and the reasons why you are unable to do so.
- If you do commit to making a payment or enter into a payment plan, ensure that you follow through.
- Make sure you actually owe the debt. If you do, confirm the amount is accurate. Legally, you have the right to request a detailed statement in writing from the collection agency.
Collection agents causing you added stress?
Dealing with collection agencies can be unpleasant. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, call Faber to get professional advice and to schedule your free, confidential consultation.
Thank you for everything you have done for me. You have helped me through a very difficult time in my life. I will be forever grateful.Rose