Child support is the financial obligation of a non-custodial parent to provide financial support to cover a portion of the costs of raising his or her child. Federal Child Support Guidelines calculate the monthly payment amount you are required to pay.
Often, financial hardship arises after a separation and/or divorce. The non-custodial parent may struggle financially with child support payments and maintaining payments to creditors. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence that leads to debt accumulation and payment arrears.
The recovery of child support arrears is administered by the Government of Alberta under the Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP). The MEP has wide ranging powers to enforce collection of child support arrears and may initiate any one or more of the following activities:
– File a Wage Support Deduction Notice with employers to garnishee wages
– File a Non-Wage Deduction Notice with banks to seize funds on deposit in bank accounts
– File a Federal Deduction Notice with the Government of Canada that attaches to income tax refunds, goods and services tax (“GST”) rebates, Employment Insurance benefits, Canada Pension and Old Age benefits and federal training allowances.
– File registrations at Personal Property Registry to suspend driver’s licences and restrict vehicle registration renewals
– File registrations at the Land Titles Office to register a lien against a residence or other property
Child support arrears are not eliminated in a consumer proposal or personal bankruptcy debt restructuring plan. The MEP will maintain collection action for on-going child support payments and in most instances for the recovery of child support arrears.
Unable to maintain your child support payments and payments to your creditors?
Contact Faber today so we can review your options and discuss the consumer proposal or personal bankruptcy debt restructuring plan that is right for you. Eliminate your unsecured debt, so you can afford to make your child support payments.
You always made me feel I was a valued client.Janet P.